Early Career Programs
Real-world projects. Mentorship opportunities. Cross-functional collaboration.
At Vertex, we're committed to providing emerging professionals with the tools and experiences they need to launch their careers successfully into the biotech space. With three career-stage specific offerings – including a University Internship Program, an MBA Internship Program, and the Vertex Fellows Program – we bring together the brightest minds and invite them to explore the world of drug discovery.
We are consistently recognized as one of the industry's top places to work, including 11 consecutive years on Science Magazine's Top Employers list, 14 consecutive years on the Boston Business Journal's Best Places to Work list, 9 consecutive years on the San Diego Business Journal's Best Places to Work list and one of the 2020 honorees of the Civic 50.
Learn more about our awards and recognition here.
Think your talents and passion are a good fit? Learn more about each program here:
Continuous learning and teamwork are part of our culture. As an intern, you’ll gain hands-on experience from some of the top people in the industry through a challenging and meaningful co-op or summer internship assignment designed to help you grow and develop. We welcome your talent, passion and fresh ideas to help us continue our success and enhance our innovative culture.
Internships are offered in many of our global locations including: Boston, Massachusetts; San Diego, California; and London, United Kingdom.
Focus areas include:
- Medicine Development and Medical Affairs
- Pharmaceutical and Preclinical Sciences
- Quality and Regulatory
- Market Access and Public Policy
- General Business including: Legal, Human Resources, Corporate Communications, Finance, Accounting, Investor Relations and Information Technology
Apply to Our Co-op Program
Ready for a longer-term commitment? Students enrolled in a college or university who are planning to return to school following their co-op can apply for a six-month assignment during two periods: January through June or July through December. Co-op positions are posted in January and September.
Looking for an MBA internship where you can take ownership of business-critical projects, collaborate alongside leaders from throughout the company, and become part of an incredibly diverse and inclusive culture? Each summer, top MBA candidates from business schools around the world find all this and more through our MBA Internship program – a 12-week opportunity designed to provide hands-on work experience in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
To qualify for our MBA Internship program, candidates should be enrolled in an accredited business school program and have four to six years of work experience prior to their MBA program. Functional areas in which we typically have opportunities for our MBA Internships include:
- Global Marketing, US Marketing, and Pipeline Marketing
- Commercial Operations and Marketing Science
- Business Development
- Finance, Tax, and Treasury
While not required, candidates with work experience in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or healthcare space are preferred.
- Exposure to challenging, business-critical projects
- Opportunities for networking and professional development sessions throughout the summer
- Experience presenting project findings to senior management
- Attendance at career development panels and “Lunch and Learn” speaker series encouraged
Our MBA Internship program is a talent pipeline for full-time opportunities. High-performing MBA candidates might be offered full-time opportunities upon completion of their MBA program.
How to Apply
We visit a number of campuses to conduct information sessions and interviews for the MBA Internship program. Contact your university career center for details, or check out our offerings on Vertex opportunities.
Vertex Fellows - One of Our Core Innovation Programs
Each year, our Vertex Fellows program brings together the next generation of investigators from around the globe. Designed to reach early career professionals, the program spans one year, allowing Fellows to collaborate directly with Vertex project teams and make real-world contributions to serious disease areas with unmet patient needs. Headlined by a week-long immersion session “bootcamp” that introduces Fellows to the drug discovery process – from early research to commercialization – the program also provides ample mentorship opportunities and access to senior leaders. The Fellows Program is run by Vertex’s innovation team under the leadership of David Altshuler, M.D, Ph.D.,Executive Vice President, Global Research and Chief Scientific Officer and in collaboration with many leaders across the company.
“The point of the Fellows program is to make sure that we remain fresh, we bring in new people, new ideas, and also that we give back.”
--David Altshuler, M.D., Ph.D.
Executive Vice President, Global Research and Chief Scientific Officer
What We Look for in a Fellow:
- Experience conducting and leading breakthrough research
- Entrepreneurial spirit for solving challenging problems with innovative solutions
- Thirst for knowledge and the desire to better understand how drugs are developed
- Completion of a Ph.D., an M.D., or a joint degree within 5 years of starting the fellowship
Fellows Program Timeline:
Applications for the Vertex Fellows program are now closed. The next cycle of applications will begin at the end of 2021.
Each year, the Vertex Physician Investigator Career Development Program brings together exceptional early career physician-scientists for a two-year, immersive, rotation-based, biotech training program. The program provides participants with a broad understanding of the drug development process and enables future leadership opportunities throughout the organization. Program participants join Vertex as full-time employees and receive didactic training and engage in experiential learning about the science and medicine of drug discovery.
Why be a Vertex Physician Investigator?
- Full-time employment with a leading innovative biotech company
- Help patients by contributing to the development of transformative medicines
- Learn about drug discovery to help inform future work
- Advance a scientific idea rapidly in a team-based environment
- Receive mentorship from scientific, medical and business leaders at Vertex
- Accelerate career growth
Applications for the Vertex Physician Investigator Career Development Program are now closed. The next cycle of applications will begin at the end of 2021.